Ayia Marina is the only Maronite village situated in the Nicosia District, 24 km west of the capital of the island. It took its name from Saint Marina.
Before the 1974 invasion, there were about 700 inhabitants in the village of Ayia Marina. Today they are about 1000, scattered all over the island. In the village there are no Maronite inhabitants since 1974 as the village is used as a military camp by the Turkish army and Maronite people are unable to visit and/or use their houses and properties. The people of the village have not been allowed even once to enter the village and have mass in their church, despite the relaxations of movement in 2003.
In the village of Ayia Marina there were living, except from Maronites, some Turkish Cypriots, many of whom were Maronites who became Muslims in an effort to save their lives and properties during the period of the ottoman persecution. As a result, there was a considerable number of mixed marriages. After the 1963 tragic events the Turkish Cypriots left their village despite the fact that there was an excellent cooperation with the Maronites.
The old church, as well as the new one, is dedicated to Saint Marina who celebrates on 17th July. The old church is in the middle of the village and there is no evidence of its exact date of construction. People of the village do not remember any other church except for this one, leading to the result, that this church must be an ancient building. The new church, which is in the entrance of the village, was constructed in 1972.
Not far from the village of Ayia Marina there is the monastery of the Prophet Elias which is undoubtedly one of the holiest Maronite places and probably the most ancient memorial. The old monastery was built by monks coming from Lebanon in the 17th century, while in 1943 the monastery was renovated by the abbot Father Petros Koumi. The monastery was the place where every Maronite would visit in order to pay his respect to the Prophet Elias. In 1974, after the bombings by the Turkish air force, the monastery was abandoned. The first time that the monastery was visited by the Maronites was in April 2003.
The people of the village were farmers and animal farmers. The village was famous for its production of wheat and barley as well as almonds.
In Ayia Marina there was also an elementary school.
The Maronites remember toponyms of Ayia Marina: Prak, Artalu, Kapiri, Fludi, Tiggera, Sklinikari, Faouta, Kitsies, Tziurkas etc.